September 29, 2009

I miss you, life

Well, hello, Internet. Fancy meeting you here. Right?! Because WHERE THE HECK HAS MY TIME GONE? It feels like I've been jumping from one catastrophe to the next, and I'm like, "There are three episodes of The Office queued up on my laptop, does it look like I have time for this?" But I digress.

Since Friday, I've been in a workshop that has left me with no time to do anything except listen to mind numbing filibusters (GRE word!) and get to know my car in the Biblical sense. I've also been going home past 10 pm every night. If you were standing next to me today, you may or may not have heard me hiss at the sun when I managed to leave before dusk.

The highlight of the this workshop has been chilling with the Grand Mufti (who is AWESOME), but there have been a few lows. These include having to hear the following:
  • bibeline
  • tob down
  • vincinity (vicinity)
  • bassion
  • excepression
  • unprofessionality
  • verbing and wording
  • backaging
  • smoked salamon
  • Where am I?
I'm not even kidding you about the last point. Someone ACTUALLY said that today, after sitting in the conference hall for five days. If I hadn't eaten my weight in baby croissants, I just might have walked out. After putting a few baby croissants in my pocket for the drive home, of course.

4 comments:

tarek nyc said...

rarely do i have wtf moments deciphering arabic inspired AnGLISH. here are some of my favorites overheard on the streets of NY:

the eat is good. (my personal fave!)

you broke the red light.

a friend was complemented for being 'tasty' @ an egyptian bistro.

kinda hit a blank but i've got a ton...oh yeah always confusing of and from......

UncleBuck said...

you always get mad at me when i call or text you with my comments and ask "how come you didnt leave a comment!"

so i will oblige...

1. a few posts ago during a comment about picking ones nose i caught myself scratching the outside of my nose... it was no pick! seinfeld moment.

2. love the potato w the candle

3. good thing i read this occasionally or i would not have known about your conference whereabouts last week!

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

tarek: i come across these every single day. we could write a book. not sure if people would be able to read it though, because they'd be crying. and they wouldn't be happy tears.

uncle buck: i've taught you well, young grasshopper! to respond to your points:

1. of course you were picking your nose. don't try to deny it.
2. the potato cake is more popular than i am.
3. you'd know about my whereabouts if you ever called (i don't mean that last point - you're pretty good about that)

Anonymous said...

'inexplicable love for peanut butter.'

and the number it does on egyptian thighs!