November 4, 2008

Throwback

This morning, the goons on the radio asked Cairo what the first song they remembered liking was. Immediately, and without a doubt, 'Step By Step' by New Kids on the Block came to mind.

I remember sitting in the car after school in Pittsburgh, furiously unwrapping the new NKOTB tapes my mom had bought. Twice, she stood in line the first day the albums were released, just to see my face when she presented them to me (I can't imagine she did it because she particularly enjoyed having her eardrums damaged by the excited shrieks of a 7-year-old, side-ponytailed, retainer-wearer).

To my joy, one of the texts received by the station included the NKOTB song in question. To my even greater joy, the buffoons decided to play the song. This resulted in another great display of air microphones and top-of-my-lungs singing. It's a shame Office Savior wasn't in the car this morning.

Doing a quick search for this video, I came across several other NKOTB gems that I'd forgotten about, like this and this and even this! It's amazing how quickly song lyrics can come back to you after so many years. These lyrics, from 'Cover Girl,' are particularly profound:

It's alright
Oh, yeah, it's out of sight
Let me say it's alright
Ah, yeah!

I "hear" (this is me playing it cool and casual) the boys have made a comeback. Judging by the smooth moves in these videos, the kids on So You Think You Can Dance should best watch out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you wait in line for your own tapes?

Anonymous said...

also, what are these "tapes" of which you speak?

Anonymous said...

LOL! i remember another place where i overheard you belting out 'step by step'...mum's the word on that one

Anonymous said...

Me too.. I was and probably am still a big fan for the NKOTB. I remember singing to myself all their songs some zillion years ago. Come to think of it, they might be the reaseon why I like Robin Williams.

Unknown said...

Oh yeah I remember them... being the cool anti-establishment kid that I was at 7, I remember HATING their guts!

thingsonmymindgrapes said...

Little One: I was 7 and getting an education! Also, tapes were WAY before your time. Open an encyclopedia or something.

Anonymous 2: I think you mean Robbie Williams. Either way, kind of unacceptable.

Noor: Anti-establishment, shmanti-establishment. Admit it. You looooved them.