October 23, 2008

Hardly Rocket Science

My office(mates) gives me much fodder for this blog - sometimes good, mostly bad. My only hope is that I don't get Dooced, because reporting on the antics that happen in our tiny workspace keeps me relatively sane and out of the "batty bin" (thanks, Eureka). There are many, many disturbances to discuss, but there's one thing that really gets to me. The one thing about this office that perpetually confuses me and makes me scratch my head (without messing up my hair, of course) is why the toilet in the ladies' washroom never gets flushed.

There are three potential washrooms the women in the office can use. One in its own, enclosed space, and two open-top stalls. One of the open-top stalls rarely gets used, as there is a constant puddle of brown slosh on the floor around the base of the toilet. Presumably this is the result of prayer preparations, but how so much water makes it onto the floor is beyond me. Plus, simultaneously maneuvering both squatting and holding your pant legs up off the ground is just a little more exercise than I like to partake in. The other stall sees the bulk of bathroom usage and NEVER gets flushed. I've heard, on several occasions, that due to poor plumbing in this country, people are taught to throw their used toilet paper in the bin rather than flush it down. I find this pretty disgusting, but fine. If you have something against the plumber (not Joe), the least you can do is flush down the other toilet paper-less remnants! Do a public service, coworkers!

I'm pretty serious about washroom rituals. I've never been particularly fond of the phrase "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down,"and even go so far as to (watch out boys, this will be a doozy!) put the toilet LID down before I flush (after every go). Toilet bowl splatter can travel up to 6 *shudder* feet, and really, who wants that on their toothbrush? Not me. It's bad enough I have to stare at my laptop for eight hours a day. The times I get up to go to the bathroom and get a little reprieve should not have to include staring at your waste.

1 comment:

Eureka said...

I FINALLY MADE IT ON! SCORRREEE.

Definitely agree with you. Sad how basic hygiene is a luxury in these parts.