April 6, 2009

The Little Things

I've been at my current job for almost two years now, and am one of roughly 30 people at the organization. Our director, when not smoking his life away behind closed doors, is constantly asking if I'm following when conversations are in Arabic, and struggles to find the right words to say to me in English when he wants to explain concepts. This continues to baffle me, as I laugh at his Arabic jokes (not easy for me!), am pretty sure he's heard me speak the language before, and a large part of the work I do is not in English.

This morning, he walked into my office - where the IT guy happened to be at the moment - and started complaining about the slow internet. Mind you, the internet's been down(ish) for the past two weeks, and today is the first day of super fast service. He then turns to me and says, "Oh! What a nice haircut!" It's nice to know that he has no clue as to the contribution I'm making to his organization, nor how the internet works, but he has noticed that my hair is one shade darker than it was two days ago. I feel very confident about my future growth here.

1 comment:

Forsoothsayer said...

i was just thinking i haven't heard u speak arabic in 2009.