March 23, 2009

Yordan

(I tried to post this from my hotel room yesterday, but of course by the time I finished checking my mail and writing this, my ridiculously overpriced ($10) one-hour internet service had run out. Needless to say, I will NOT be using the internet outside of office hours for the rest of my time here.)

Guess what, Internet? Looks like I lied! Here I am in Amman, blogging to you from the giantest hotel bed ever created. Flight here was quick and painless, even though I messed up royally by telling the kind man at the airport check-in that I was going to Jordan for work. He then asked why it said "unemployed" in my passport and if I had a letter from my employer stating the nature of my business. Whoops. I made my way to the customs line, where I proceeded to lie to the guy behind the bulletproof glass (smart, I know) and told him that the purpose of my trip was strictly touristic. He didn't buy it, but he stamped my passport anyway. It was then smooth sailing up to Starbucks where I had free, wireless interent and a cute boy sighting!

So, I'm here now and I've already put in a full day in the office. Even had a meeting at a government office at 4 pm (hear that, Egypt? Government workers in their offices past 2 pm? Hmm...). (Mom, look away...) Lost my passport for a hot minute (more like three hours) after I got here, but thankfully I had left it at the hotel reception. The knot in my stomach is slowly starting to fade, and it's nothing a huge dinner can't cure.

Anyway, it's pretty freezing here, which means I'm going to have to wear my coat (HATE wearing coats), but I'm looking forward to getting a good night's sleep. Here's to dreams of sugar plum fairies and dancing scrambled eggs. Ahh, the breakfast buffet...

No comments: